About Us

Imagine Video
About Jyl Steinback

Building A Healthier Future

Mind . . . Body . . . Emotion

  • Shape Up US is a 501c3 non-profit dedicated to “Building A Healthier Future” and empowering children and families to lead healthier, happier lives. Shape Up US provides teachers, children, parents and communities at large with educational tools to create healthy, lifelong habits to improve their overall wellness. With a focus on over-all health, physical exercise, nutrition, and mental and emotional well being, we accomplish our mission of building healthy futures for our children through a three-pronged approach of: AWARENESS!EDUCATION! ACTION! 
  • AWARENESS!  Shape Up US Presents A Ninja Warrior Obstacle Course and Health and Wellness Expos – Shape Up Us offers free healthy lifestyle expositions and activities in cities throughout the nation.  Each Health & Wellness Expo is designed to promote wellness, create awareness and educate the public about the prevention of heart disease and chronic disease across the spectrum of ages, races, genders and ethnicities while providing a day of fun for the entire family. https://youtu.be/VLvFVlDFvFQ 
  • EDUCATION! The Hip Hop Healthy Heart Program for Children™


K-6 OPEN Curriculum Resources for In-School & Distance Learning – An online Social   Emotional “Whole Child” comprehensive healthy literacy education curriculum/resources (mind, body & emotion) created to “Build A Culture of Health” through your educational system & into your school’s e-learning platform and directly into the homes. This program provides our children with the tools to flourish and be resilient!  To guide them to blossom into their full potential (mentally, physically and emotionally). We are teaching through Personalized Learning by grouping our program K-3 and 4th-6th.  This allows each child to learn at their own pace and in their own “Best” way. This program flows from teacher, to student, to family, to community. It provide an on-line curriculum and resources that “Transforms Our Children” through a Train-The-Trainer model that will “Positively” affect ALL who Engage in this program. It is the Solution To Lifestyle and Behavioral Changes. Free samples to take a peek: https://shapeupus.org/hip-hop-healthy-heart-program-for-children/take-a-look/ 

  • ACTION! Clap4Health!TM – Kids Health Matters — A National Fitness Campaign and Fundraiser–Using Clapping, as its method of delivery to get ACTIVE, GET HEALTHY and BE HAPPY! Clap4Health! is an innovative solution to bringing wellness and physical education back into the schools and children’s households. The benefits of clapping are based on the Acupressure Theory. “Our body has 340 known pressure points, 28 of which are in our hands”. This is why many children and adults love to clap. It makes you happy!  This program is being implemented across the nation to teach the benefits of keeping fit, active, healthy and happy. 
  • EAT RIGHT, MOVE MORE Walking Program Step your way to health! What’s In A Walk? In 30 minutes you take 3100 – 4100 steps and burn 150-200 calories, but you also can reduce your risk of breast cancer by 20%, your chance of getting heart disease by 30%, and your risk of type II diabetes by 50%. Live longer, live healthier – simply add more steps to your day.  30 minutes, 3 days a week, 60 minutes, 7 days a week, the more you walk, the lower the risks…are you ready to introduce your child to walking and give them the lifelong benefits of health, relaxation, independence, and well-being. So, get your kids to “Walk The Walk”. It may be one of the best gifts you could ever give them. 
  • COOKBOOK! “Think Outside The Lunchbox” 250 Plant-Nutritious Delicious Recipes That The Whole Family Will Love” Introduction by Dr. Scott Stoll and Forward by Keegan Kuhn

Jyl’s Bio  – https://americashealthiestmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/jyl-steinback-ppt.pdf

What We Do

Shape Up US works to empower children and families to lead healthier lives through awareness, education and action-oriented programs designed to help arrest cardiovascular disease, obesity, and diabetes. Founded in 2002 as a 501(c)3 organization called Creating a Difference, the nonprofit began undertaking its current work in 2009 under the leadership of its new executive director, Jyl Steinback. The revitalized organization held its first Health and Wellness Expo in October 2009 in Mesa, Ariz. The organization then started creating elementary school health and wellness curriculum and was renamed Shape Up US the following year. In 2011, Shape Up US partnered with Rio Salado College to offer its teacher training coursework.

Through our comprehensive wellness education programs and live events, Shape Up US helps teachers, students, their families and their communities assess and address their personal and community wellness needs. We achieve this aim by providing the most up-to-date wellness information and education, while connecting the community with national and local wellness and healthcare organizations, wellness assessment organizations, certified educators, and businesses that focus on wellness.

Why We Do What We Do

Childhood obesity is increasing at an alarming rate. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) the percentage of obese children aged 6 to 11 has doubled, and the percentage of obese adolescents aged 12 to 19 has tripled since 1980. The American Society for Nutrition and the CDC note that children who are obese are more likely to develop type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular illness and certain cancers as adults.

What can be done? The CDC suggests schools strengthen nutrition and physical education programs, and the general public agrees. The Los Angeles Times reports 90 percent of Americans believe schools should take a role in addressing obesity. These recommendations are reflected in research. A 2012 study published by the American Society for Nutrition found nutrition education vital to effective in-school interventions, and similar studies demonstrate how nutrition education positively impacts children’s diets. Community-based interventions are also successful: Another 2012 study captured how strategies like public awareness campaigns and “fitness fairs” reduced the body mass index (BMI) of Boston residents alongside school-based interventions.

However, despite evidence that these kinds of programs work, funding and access to these opportunities is scarce. Shape Up US fills the gap, delivering programs that meet recommendations by the CDC and the public—integrating wellness programs into existing school curricula and bringing wellness education directly to the community.

Children are perfectly positioned to learn skills that combat their risk of contracting diabetes and heart-disease, or that alleviate the heartache of social and psychological problems associated with childhood obesity. Through the creation of healthy lifelong habits, children would also have less chance of becoming adults with higher risks for many diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and several types of cancers. Shape Up US programs are comprehensive and cast a wide, inclusive net by building a circle of wellness that integrates health education into existing curricula, flowing from teacher, to student, to family, out to the community, and then back to the classroom. With the accessible opportunity for prevention that Shape Up US provides, children have a chance to build the foundation essential for a healthy life, and to impact their families and communities in a circle of wellness. In other words, it also works for the good of the community to teach our children about health.

Non Discrimination Policy

Shape Up Us is an equal opportunity employer. We shall not discriminate and will not discriminate in employment, recruitment, Board membership, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, or for any other discriminatory reason.